On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Jason Gochanour <jrgoc...@lanl.gov> wrote:
> I think you may be right.  CMAKE_INSTALL_CONFIG_NAME doesn't contain a
value
> when I run a fresh build of the PACKAGE project in Visual Studio.
>
> If it isn't possible to tell CPack what build configuration the user
chooses
> in the IDE is there any way to have it just package the required DLLs
> automatically, without having to manually specify their paths?  CPack will
> package the correct versions of the executables, and even the .libs if I
> choose, but I can't figure out how to get .dll files packaged at all.
>
> On 6/9/2011 8:50 PM, J Decker wrote:
>>
>> You probably need to escape it...  so it is kept as
>> ${CMAKE_INSTALL_CONFIG_NAME}
>>
>> or I think it only ends up working for the initial configuration
>> chosen when the .sln is made...
>>

>> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 6:22 PM, J Decker<d3c...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> if(SUPPORTS_PARALLEL_BUILD_TYPE)
>>>
>>>  CMAKE_INSTALL_CONFIG_NAME is set to the current configuration name
>>> (DEbug, release, minsizerel) as chosen in the visual studio
>>> environment.... so to choose which you build - you choose which you
>>> build.
>>>
>>> It doesn't package multiple configurations at once into a single NSIS,
>>> but it will package any single configuration.
>>>
>>> ?

> Powered by www.kitware.com

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

What version of CMake are you using? At the top of the latest
InstallRequiredSystemLibraries.cmake are the following comments:

  # If CMAKE_INSTALL_DEBUG_LIBRARIES is set and it is the MSVC
  # compiler, then the debug libraries are installed when available.
  # If CMAKE_INSTALL_DEBUG_LIBRARIES_ONLY is set then only the debug
  # libraries are installed when both debug and release are available.

The problem is: the debug libraries for MSVC are not redistributable. You're
not *supposed* to package them from a legal/licensing standpoint. You may
still build an installer that installs them if you set the above referenced
variables before including InstallRequiredSystemLibraries, but you have to
make the conscious choice to do so.

The assumption is that anybody who needs to debug the program will have MSVC
installed themselves, and will therefore also have the debug libraries
installed. I'd recommend going with that approach over packaging the libs
into an installer.

HTH,
David