On 07/03/2011 06:13 PM, Eric Noulard wrote:

The post-install step currently depends on the CPack generator you use.

Doing such thing in a portable/cross-platform way would need to suppose
you have a portable tool at hand **AT INSTALL TIME**.

It would be logical to require CMake and may be embbed a CMake script
like in the
INSTALL(SCRIPT<file>  ...)
Note that if you do this you'll get packages that require more than today,
since currently you may install your binary DEB or RPM or NSIS
even if CMake is not installed

I would be fine installing the dependencies myself, or run an executable that I have previously installed instead of a script.

Whatever the solution one would need the support for the packaging system
(RPM, DEB, NSIS, ...) which makes it possible to execute something at
install time.
This is doable with RPM, DEB, I'm pretty sure it should be possible
with NSIS too
(but I'm no NSIS expert)

It seems the NSIS generator provides a CPACK_NSIS_EXTRA_INSTALL_COMMANDS variable that could be used to launch an executable.

RPM, PackageMaker and Bundle have variables to define scripts (some allow pre/post install/uninstall/upgrade).

But I think it would be very nice if all of this could be unified, and I'd like to have that ability for STGZ and DEB generators as well (though I don't use the DEB generator atm because it doesn't support component installation).

, however most archive generators (ZIP, TGZ,
TBZ2, ...) won't
provide enough support for that.

Not a big issue to me.