2011/7/29 Alexander Neundorf <a.neundorf-w...@gmx.net>

> On Friday 29 July 2011, David Cole wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Replies requested. Short replies only. Read on. Just a short reply with
> bug
> > numbers or links to the bugs is all we need here. Please move specific
> > discussions into the bugs themselves or start a new thread to talk about
> > it... Replies on this thread should just be a collector for bug numbers.
> >
> > Example one-line reply:
> >
> >   http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=8707
> >
> > We are planning for CMake 2.8.6 already, and it's going to be a
> compressed
> > release cycle this time around. We're targeting Sept. 14, 2011 for
> > releasing it, and in order to make that happen we'll have to do an "rc1"
> > as early as Aug 10th or 17th... just 2 or 3 weeks from now.
>
> From the KDE point of view this is somewhat unfortunate, that exactly this
> cycle will be shorter.
> Are there reasons for it ?

There are reasons for it. For one thing, the 2.8.5 release took too long, so
we want to make this one shorter to keep us on schedule for getting 4
releases per year out there. If we can actually deliver 2.8.6 on Sept. 14th,
we can reliably plan on 2.8.7 being delivered in mid-December.

It may be unfortunate, but we will stick with it unless we receive mucho
objections from others in addition to KDE.

Is mid-December too far in the future? (And a minimum version of 2.8.7...?)

> With the coming Qt5 and the binary break this causes in KDE we plan to also
> break binary compatibility once (while keeping source compatibility similar
> Qt more or less completely).

When is the Qt5 release scheduled for?

> With this break we will also use the chance to break our cmake source
> compatiblity once, the first time since KDE 4.0.0 in early 2007.
> Which means we try to merge a lot of our stuff into cmake, and then depend
> on
> this version of cmake, i.e. 2.8.6.
> 2.8.7 will be released maybe around January or so, right ? This would be
> quite
> late for us.
> This does not just mean merge, but also change it so it becomes acceptable
> for
> cmake, etc.
>
> This is the list of files in KDE which are potential candidates for being
> upstreamed:
>
> http://community.kde.org/index.php?title=KDE_Core/Platform_11/Buildsystem/FindFilesSurvey
>
> Not all files listed on this page have realistic chances IMO.
> But I'd really like to get rid of the copies in KDE of the files in the
> sections "2 Check*.cmake files", "3 Generic Macros" and "5.1.1 Find*.cmake
> from kdelibs which exist in cmake".
>
> If you look there, already in these three sections there are still a lot of
> files marked as TODO.
> Getting all that done until August 10th is hard, to say the least. Also now
> is
> the time for summer vacations, which makes it even more hard.
>
> So, from our (KDE) side being able to work on the stuff listed on the page
> linked above until like end of September would be ideal.
> (additionally there are the things like automoc which I already started
> discussing on the cmake developers list).
>
> Alex

That is an ambitious amount of work. I'm skeptical that we could even fit
all that into a mid-September rc1, let alone a mid-August rc1... It would
probably be better if you shoot for getting that in by November, and
counting on a December release of CMake 2.8.7.

Let me know if you have further thoughts or comments here.

Thanks,
David