Don't put a space in between the "wt" and the "${BACKENDLIB}" ... ?

Use this instead:

IF(WIN32)
 TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(construction.wt
  debug wtd${BACKENDLIB}d
  optimized wt${BACKENDLIB})
ELSE(WIN32)
 TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(construction.wt wt${BACKENDLIB})
ENDIF(WIN32)

Just a guess since I don't really know what you're expecting...