On 2011-08-11 16:46-0400 David Cole wrote:

I share Alex's confusion with your proposed signature. All other string subcommands refer to either
"<string>" or "<input>" in their args
list. None of them have both "<string>" *and* "<input>".

Sorry I should have been more explicit.  The current signatures for
REGEX et al are

string(REGEX MATCH <regular_expression>
string(REGEX MATCHALL <regular_expression>
string(REGEX REPLACE <regular_expression>
       <replace_expression> <output variable>
       <input> [<input>...])
string(REPLACE <match_string>
       <replace_string> <output variable>
       <input> [<input>...])

What I am suggesting for all of them is to make <input> [<input>...])
optional.  When that is not supplied, the input would be taken
from "${<output variable>}" instead.  And similarly for

string(APPEND or CONCAT "<string>" <output variable>
       <input> [<input>...])

Hope that makes clear what I am proposing.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).

Linux-powered Science