Looks like that's working.  Running ninja again, I'm seeing another issue:

BRL-CAD uses dependency assignment to make sure our build time delta
calculator is the last target to be built (and hence actually times the
build).  With ninja, it doesn't seem to be respecting this, but instead
tries to run the delta target immediately.  Do custom targets respect
dependency information?

Cheers,
CY