2011/10/25 Phil Smith <p...@voltage.com>:
> OK, but it should then reject the extra parameters, since it used to work.

Difficult to warn about a usage you did not even dream of ?
Now that we know I agree there should be a warning
(if not a clean failure with explanation).

> In any case, I've changed the toolchain file:
> # This is a CMake Toolchain file, required for cross-compiling using
> # the Dignus cross-compilers on Windows, compiling for z/OS.
>
> # Tell CMAKE the target system name
> SET(CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME "IBM_ZOS")

Do you have a platform file for IBM_ZOS as well?

if not
what is the compiler ID found?
"The C compiler identification is <WhatsInHere>"

may be you could try for force compiler:
see
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Cross_Compiling#The_toolchain_file
and
cmake --help-module CMakeForceCompiler

[...]

> ...and the behavior persists:
> C:/Program Files/Regina/regina.exe  cc.rex;dcc.exe  CMakeCCompilerId.c

You did this in a clean build tree, right?

> So it's not clear that that's a solution. I can't wrap the regina call
> because what will I wrap it in? BAT is criminally busted -- it eats equals
> signs. So later calls with -fwhatever=value will be broken.

May be with a REXX script ?
Just a wild guess because I did only write 2 lines of REXX in my life
so I may be wrong about the REXX capability.

> If I comment out line 29 in CMakeDetermineCompilerId.cmake, it works with my
> old toolchain file, but fails later with the new one, because it appears to
> call "the compiler" without the "flags", and regina with no arguments
> produces Help and exits.

Line 29 for which CMake version?
Do you mean this line:
STRING(REGEX REPLACE " +" ";" CMAKE_${lang}_COMPILER_ID_ARG1
"${CMAKE_${lang}_COMPILER_ID_ARG1}")

> Why are the semicolons being inserted? If I wanted semicolons between the
> parameters, why wouldn't I just specify them?
>
> Brad, your comment in the thread says:
>>Teach compiler identification to support values such as
>>  export CC='gcc -g -O2'
>>by separating the arguments on spaces.
>
> Not sure what "on spaces" means, but again, it seems wrong to me that
> anything is messing with my option format.

I think it means replace spaces with ";" in order to get a proper list.

May be the compiler args handling is broken in the cross-compiling case?
Such kind of setup?

--
Erk
http://www.april.org