On 28/07/2012 01:43, James Bigler wrote:
Is there are particular reason why imported targets don't have global
scope (doc says current directory and below), but regular targets do
(seen everywhere)?

This seems really inconsistent to me.

I'm trying to build a custom library from other pieces using my own set
of commands.  I can't use add_custom_target directly since I can't use
the resulting target in target_link_libraries.  I then found a link
where it suggested to use add_library(IMPORTED) and set the file with
the results of my custom target.  Unfortunately, this library lives in a
sub directory and it can't be seen outside like the original library
used to.

Now, I'm kind of stuck.  I want a library type target, but IMPORTED
doesn't provide the correct scoping (i.e. global).

Personally, the only reliable way I've found to be able do what you want is to create a dummy library and then overwrite it by the custom one generated by a add_custom_command POST_BUILD command.