First, the background on why I want this: Our product uses a licensing library
that creates a .so file alongside the executable, and at runtime does a
dlopen() on that .so file.  But it doesn't use a full path, so we need to put
$ORIGIN into the RPATH or users will have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the
directory containing the executable.  We don't have access to change the
library to pass a full path to dlopen(), either.  But we link against some
other external libraries which might not be in the system path (e.g. the
MariaDB LGPL'd client library which isn't currently available as a Debian
package).

So, setting properties INSTALL_RPATH "\$ORIGIN" and BUILD_WITH_INSTALL_RPATH
won't work because that will replace the automatically determined rpath
entirely with $ORIGIN.    Is there any way to tell CMake to combine the two
just for the build version?  (The installed version will put non-system
libraries into a self-contained bundle so we'll still want $ORIGIN as the RPATH
there.)  I haven't found any setting that will do this by scanning the
rpath-related CMake variables or target properties.
--
Daniel Schepler