A couple of years ago, with massive help from Brad King, I managed to get an
embedded ExternalProject build of DCMTK embedded into ITK/Modules/ThirdParty.

This was workable, because the CMake dependencies were explicitly set up such
that the DCMTK libraries depended on the ExternalProject DCMTK target, and the
DCMTKImageIO module depended on the libraries.  When using the CMake with the
Makefile generator, this hangs together, because the sub-make in
Modules/IO/DCMTK won’t happen until the ExternalProject build in
Modules/ThirdParty/DCMTK is complete.

Ninja, on the other hand, makes one flat megamake at the top level of ITK, and
if you try and build with
Module_ITKDCMTK/Module_ITKIODCMTK/Module_IOTransformDCMTK turned on, it fails
immediately because the targets in Modules/IO/DCMTK depend on non-existent
DCMTK libraries.

It’s a problem if we support all CMake generators except Ninja.  I like using
Ninja because it shaves several seconds off build times, which is great when
you’re in an edit/compile/test workflow.

I have no idea how this could be resolved, except to remove the internal DCMTK
build and require USE_SYSTEM_DCMTK=ON.  Does anyone have a better idea.

Notice: This UI Health Care e-mail (including attachments) is covered by the
Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is confidential and
may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this communication is strictly prohibited.  Please reply to the sender that you
have received the message in error, then delete it.  Thank you.