Odd, I built from source and there does not seem to be any way to add a custom
search path (akin to QtDir or something like that) for the searching. I added a
few lines to the FindProtobuf.cmake file to make it look for "Protobuf_DIR" as
an environment variable. If I installed it into /usr/local I bit the default
paths would find it.

I guess I could submit the patch as a bug report for the next version of CMake.

Thanks
Mike Jackson