Hey all:

I'm trying to compile boost with some weird options, and I can't get
projects linked with it to compile correctly.  As using regularly compiled
boost seems to work just fine, this indicates my issue is not with
cmake...however I was hoping I could get some clarification on how cmake
searches for things in order to diagnose my issue.

I made a toy project here:

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8.4)
project(testproject)

find_package(Boost 1.58.0 REQUIRED COMPONENTS thread)
add_executable(a.out main.cpp)
target_link_libraries(a.out ${Boost_LIBRARIES})

When I build this project with the "good" normally compiled boost
libraries, I get this CMakeFiles/a.out.dir/link.txt:

/full/path/to/compiler/g++ CMakeFiles/a.out.dir/main.cpp.o -o a.out
-rdynamic /full/path/to/good/boost/libboost_thread.so
-Wl,-rpath,/full/path/to/good/boost

When I build the project with the exact same options, except substituting
the "bad" boost for the BOOST_ROOT variable, I get:

/full/path/to/compiler/g++ CMakeFiles/a.out.dir/main.cpp.o -o a.out
-rdynamic -lboost_thread

The obvious differences here are that with the good boost libraries, we get
a full path to the boost library and not a shortened path.  Additionally,
with the good library, I get a the rpath to the library set as well.  The
${Boost_LIBRARIES} variable is the full path to libboost_thread.so in both
cases.

This is obviously a problem with my boost compilation, but this is my only
clue to diagnosing the problem.  I was hoping for some insight as to why
cmake would choose one way of linking over another so I could attempt to
fix my actual problem.

Thanks!