On 04/25/2016 02:29 PM, Craig Scott wrote:
I personally have found myself having to look up to his sort of version info a lot lately. It sounds like others do too. Perhaps a more sustainable approach would be to include the version details in the CMAKE docs themselves. For each command, module, variable, etc. it's documentation could state the version it was added. Some may warrant further info for version(s) where significant changes were made (eg keywords added to a command). Realistically, it would have to be done progressively and obviously with agreement from the Kitware side. It would only work if it became part of the change process whereby any new features or changes must include such version details. It would be interesting to hear what Kitware think of the idea. Any chance?

I've also made use of such information from time to time but I think it has been the exception and it doesn't normally come up during my regular development workflow.

I assume for most projects there is a single cmake_minimum_required(VERSION). Which means to see what is and what isn't available I only have to check that specific version's documentation.

I am curious as to what kind of use case results in having to require cross-version information as provided by the compatibility matrix "a lot".

Nils