Perhaps I spoke to hastily.  It seems the unsupported configuration is if
project(...) is actually called from an include file, which makes sense
given various scoping issues.  Give that, what you have should work fine.
What doesn't work as expected?  It seems to work just fine when I try it
from a macro defined in an include file.  Also, what version of CMake are
you using so I can try to reproduce your configuration more closely?

- Chuck