Thank you for the precise pointers, I added to the same CMakeLists.txt:

    get_property(mysrcs TARGET mylib PROPERTY SOURCES)

    foreach(x IN LISTS mysrcs)
        message("at ${x}")
        set_property(SOURCE x APPEND PROPERTY COMPILE_DEFINITIONS
"TEST1;TEST2;")
    #    set_source_files_properties(x PROPERTIES COMPILE_DEFINITIONS
"TEST1;TEST2;") # also not working
    endforeach(x)

However, whatever I write into 'set_property()' - no APPEND, single entry, not
quoted - does not end up
on the compiler command line. Is there a type mismatch which is silently
ignored?

As to __FILE__ or similar, the define is used as a variable, i.e. the .c suffix
would have to be removed
via the c processor. The current directory is also used. I think replacing .c
and appending the name of
the current directory will be easier in cmake.