On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 10:27 AM Michael Jackson <
mike.jack...@bluequartz.net> wrote:

> Do this all the time both for our CDash nightlies and when I am developing
> on Windows. The essential pieces of the puzzle are the following:
>
> 1: Ninja needs to be on your path
> 2: The compilers need to be on your path.
>
> 1 can be solved in a few different ways. The brute force is to edit the
> system path variable and place the folder containing Ninja into the system
> path. I do NOT recommend doing this. Repeat. DON'T DO IT. You can edit your
> "User" PATH environment variable and add to the PATH. This is the more
> recommended way but a bit tedious to get into that dialog box to adjust. We
> will come back to this..
>
> For 2, use the "Visual Studio Command Prompt" which has all the paths to
> the compilers setup for you. Now the question becomes, how to combine 1 and
> 2. My own solution (which is far from optimal, but works) is that I setup
> my own "short cut" to a command prompt that launches my own custom .bat
> file that sits on my desktop. In that .bat file is basically a copy of the
> vcvarsall.bat file and then I add to that my own specific PATH values for
> things like Qt, hdf5, cmake, ninja that on located on my system. I keep
> both the shortcut and the .bat file on my desktop so all I need to do is
> double click to get a correctly configured command prompt for my dev
> environment. If a version of something changes I just edit the .bat file
> and I am ready to go. You can then also do "cmake-gui.exe ." from inside a
> build folder to have CMake-Gui launch with all the correctly identified
> compilers.

For this option, you can use the batch command, "call", to read in the
environment of another ".bat" script, so that you do not have to make
copies of the vcvarsall.bat files.  As long as you are not using "setlocal"
in a script, then the environment variables will propagate up to the caller.

 For example your script can have (for VS 2015) :
call "%VS140COMNTOOLS%VsVars32.bat"

and the add lines setting additional PATH values.

Regards,

Juan