Dear Gloria,

>From what I understand, Acute GVHD refers to GVHD occurring within
the first 100 days following transplant.  Chronic GVHD refers to
that GVHD which persists or occurs after 100 days.  Both Acute and
Chronic may be categorized as mild, moderate or severe.

As you probably know, GVHD is a double-edged sword.  Too much
untreated GVHD can kill you, but a mild case of GVHD maximizes your
chance of Graft versus Leukemia (GVL).  This is where your new donor
cells recognize any lurking leukemia cells as foreign and kill them
off.  People with no GVHD have a higher rate of relapse.

It is very unusual for a MUD transplant to have zero GVHD.  If you
have a mild case, you may ulimately be very grateful for it and its
added GVL benefit!

Warmly,
Kelly

--- In CML@yahoogroups.com, "Gloria" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I just found out today that at 3 1/2 months post bmt I have a mild
> GVHD of the liver and also on the inside of my mouth.  I'm
confused
> with what I'm reading about chronic or acute. Which is the worst
of
> the two?
>
> Thanks...Gloria

Give the gift of life to a sick child.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/3iazvD/6WnJAA/xGEGAA/8zSolB/TM

New! Sign up for local CML support group meetings in your local community at
http://cml.meetup.com

Apply for Commercial Real Estate loans online and submit your deal to dozens of
hungry lenders in just minutes. Loan programs for all types of business and
commercial real estate. Apply anytime at http://realestatezoo.com

CML (Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia Support List)
Change To No Mail/Web: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Change To Digest: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Change To Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List Help: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CML Group Web Site http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CML