Hello All,

Today marks my 5th anniversary of diagnosis with CML.  Much like today, I greeted that day five years ago with anticipation of the day's celebration even though I was not feeling well.  A side trip to the hospital for a totally un-related event led to a not so routine blood test where my world collided with cancer, leukemia, and more specifically CML.  In many ways, being diagnosed on Thanksgiving was a blessing in disguise. I was reminded to be thankful and grateful that although this diagnosis was probably inevitable (I had worked for many years as a radiology/nuclear medicine sales rep) I had the good fortune to find myself in good care at the McGill University Health Centre here in Montreal (I am an American living in Canada) and with a top doctor in Canada, Dr. Pierre Laneuville.

Much in my life has changed, how could it not?  In the early days, I thought I would not want to be vocal about CML and life with cancer in general.   After loosing my job because of CML (small time employers were worried about the cost of this drug and the impact on their modest health care plan), the subsequent law suit (which not surprisingly I won, but for me it wasn't about the money, it was about the principle) - well let's just say it is a woman's prerogative to change her mind!

I started posting to Rob's International CML list on my second anniversary of diagnosis and was a steady member here up until the last big melt down in March.  I continue to read this list and offer support where I can, and I thank Rob  for keeping this legacy list, although it is somewhat fragmented, alive and kicking.  It saddens me that our community that was once so strong, has become so fragmented.  This list was where Suzan McNamara launched her petition which helped many of us have faster access to Gleevec.  This list has been the place where the most CMLers have come to find information on trials and new drug development.  Welcome to the newcomers on this list and long may you and we all post here - politics be dammed!

I hope you all continue to enjoy this list and find time to peruse the archives.  You will see the how the miracle of new drug development has had a positive impact on the quality of life while helping us all to live longer.

Today, while I have recently gone back to work full time, I do whatever I can to help other CML patients by organizing information sessions, helping people find doctors, access to drugs and sometimes just hugging and handholding when times get tense.  So, while I do not post much I am still very active in this community.

Stay tuned, in a very short while there will be an announcement of the creation of an organization totally dedicated to support, educate and advocate on the behalf of all CML patients.  It's been a lot of work but it has been lots of fun!

Blessings and warm wishes of peace love, gratitude and health - may we all be happy and healthy!

Cheryl-Anne

New! Sign up for local CML support group meetings in your local community at http://cml.meetup.com

Apply for Commercial Real Estate loans online and submit your deal to dozens of hungry lenders in just minutes. Loan programs for all types of business and commercial real estate. Apply anytime at http://realestatezoo.com

CML (Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia Support List)