Hi Darrel,
        I think you get a better idea of the problem when you see different types
of users play with the system.  We deal a lot with a sales company based
here in Montreal.  They are all "sales guys".  They consider themselves
"visual" even though what they produce hurts my eyes.  Even though we have a
nice little WYSIWYG editor that automatically adopts the CSS of the site,
they complain about the fact that it doesn't properly display the width of
the final output.  They edit large blocks of texts but when they click
preview, it suddenly gets squeezed into a narrow column and then scrolls for
several pages on end.  To them, knowing where the line wraps is important.
They almost base their content's structure on it.  Now I completely disagree
with the approach but the client is always right, right?  The solution is
our preview edit mode for inline editing.  And to be quite honest, it has
become a very popular feature.  I don't think we can ever really get away
from "visual" editing but that doesn't bother me as long as what's produced
is structured.  We can still take the inline edited content and spit it out
with a different css on a different publication.

a.

André Milton
www.mlore.com