I'm intrigued by Macromedia Contribute, but am confused about what it actually does.
As far as I can tell it's a simple editor that uses Dreamweaver templates to let non
technical staff edit live web pages.

The organisation I work for has taken the decision (long before I worked here, I
hasten to add) to give Dreamweaver to as many staff as possible to enable them to make
their own updates to their part of the site, thus supposedly reducing the workload for
the Web Developers.

It seems obvious that Contribute will give us an advantage over Dreamweaver in the
sense that it should stop non-technical staff messing up our templates and doing their
own "design" work on the pages.

What I am most interested in though is if it could be integrated with other
applications as a step towards a fully integrated CMS. One of the biggest failings of
our site at the moment is that information is not shared across the site (e.g. see
also lists, recent article lists). Does Contribute have any sort of functionality that
would allow it, for instance, to update a centralised Metadata database? does it keep
a database itself?

Even the smallest amount of progress in this direction would be a huge step forward
for us.

Thanks in advance,
Rob
http://www.operamail.com
Now with OperaMail Premium for only US$29.99/yr