The reason an adapter is not made from 30a to a lesser amperage is that this
would be in violation of the electrical code (or codes and standards) as the
20a rated device would be intended for use on a circuit protected by a 30a
breaker.  Such a device would not receive csa or ul approval for this reason
and would not be legal for sale in Canada or the USA.
The adaptors you buy are typically the reverse - adapting a lower amperage
circuit to your 30a power cable.  you could trip a breaker and be safe but not
exceed the rates amperage of any device.
Houses and marinas do have 250vac at the breaker panel.  The branch circuits
are supplied with either 125 or 250 or both depending how they are wired to the
panel.
Dave
33-2
Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 21, 2023, at 5:10 PM, Bill Coleman via CnC-List
> <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>

> I think I may have given away my 30 amp adapters with my last boat, but a
> 125V 30 amp male to a 20 amp female household plug would have partially
> solved my problem last weekend at a neighboring Club. Not ideal, I know,
> nobody  likes household cords going to boats.  A  125V 30 amp Male to
> 125/250V Female Pigtail would have been ideal , but maybe not - I see Marinco
> does not sell such a plug, which leads me to believe that maybe there is a
> reason they don't. Maybe it would be a  bad idea to bring two legs of the
> same 125 Volts into a 250 volt system.  Seems like  like inbreeding. I know
> enough about electricity to get me into trouble, but not sure about this one,
> and wonder if there are any actual electricians out there..I could buy field
> plugs and make my own, but I don't want to fry my system or burn my boat
> down.
>  I do have a 125/250 female to 125 household male, which enables me to charge
> batteries in the winter.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill Coleman
> Entrada, Erie PA
> Please show your appreciation for this list and the Photo Album site and help
> me pay the associated bills.  Make a contribution at:
> https://www.paypal.me/stumurray
> Thanks for your help.
> Stu
Thanks for your help.