I provide an initWithFrame: for my NSView subclass,
and as it is a stand-in for a Custom View in IB the
method is called. It does initialize all my instance
variables as expected.

However, when I try to turn my view into a
layer-hosting view with:
        CALayer* rootLayer = [CALayer layer];
        [self setLayer:rootLayer];
        [self setWantsLayer:YES];
        [rootLayer setDelegate:self];
        [rootLayer setNeedsDisplay];

My delegate method is never called, nor are any
borders shown if I set those properties on my
rootLayer. (The delegate does get a look, though,
since I can crash the app by feeding a garbage pointer
as a delegate.) Moving this code into my view's
awakeFromNib handler makes the delegate work as
expected.

Why can't I enable layer hosting in my initWithFrame:
method?

thanks,
-natevw