On Mar 3, 2008, at 11:26, I. Savant wrote:

 I would never have thought of this; I thought toolbar items were
discarded / recreated when removed from and added to the toolbar. Have
I missed something?

It's the same ambiguity about the term "toolbar" that makes IB's toolbar-creation so unintuitive. You create toolbar items in the set of *available* items (which is what populates the toolbar customization sheet) and these are essentially permanent. You add and remove items to/from the subset of items used in the actual toolbar (in IB or in your initialization or when the toolbar is customized by the user), but that doesn't create or delete the items themselves.