On Mar 25, 2008, at 8:09 PM, Quincey Morris wrote:
On Mar 25, 2008, at 16:26, Andy Lee wrote:
- (id)init
{
 NSLog(@"%@ -- '%@' is not the designated initializer",
       [self class],
       NSStringFromSelector(_cmd));
 [self release];
 return nil;
}

Unless there is some special runtime magic going on, this seems not absolutely safe. Your '[self release]' is going to eventually lead to a call of '[super dealloc]' and theoretically you can't safely call the superclass's dealloc if you haven't called a designated superclass initializer, because you don't know what the superclass's dealloc expects its initializer to have already done.

Ah, I hadn't thought of that -- I should have looked more closely at your code.

--Andy