Hi Jeff, and thanks for answering :-)

On Apr 21, 2008, at 3:30 PM, Jeff LaMarche wrote:
I'm no expert on Web Services on Objective-C, but I've been playing around with them a bit. One thing that I have discovered is that CFTypeRef is not _always_ a dictionary. In some cases, it wants a string.

Thanks for the tip! :-)

Without knowing what your web service looks like I don't think I can be any more helpful than that. Have you used the debugger to step through the setParameters: method while it's running? You might be able to tell what it's looking for by doing that. That was how I figured out to pass in a space delimited list as an NSString rather than a dictionary.

I've made a dummy webservice that looks pretty much like the one I use: http://78.157.102.46:2234/DummyWS/Service1.asmx?WSDL So to generate my stubs I do: WSMakeStubs -x ObjC -name DummyStubs - url http://78.157.102.46:2234/DummyWS/Service1.asmx?WSDL

First of all, it generates the functions twice, so I need to delete half of them. :-I It also gives me five warnings saying "warning: initialization discards qualifiers from pointer target type", but at least now I'm good to go.

Then I make my method:

NSString *testStr = (NSString*) [myService testString:[[NSDictionary alloc] init]];
NSLog(@"testStr: %@", testStr);
NSDictionary *testDict = (NSDictionary*) [myService testString: [[NSDictionary alloc] init]];
NSLog(@"testDict count: %d", [testDict count]);

When the method is called, there's a bit network activity, but the log sais:

Apr 23 14:38:59 MBP SampleApp[1742]: testStr: (null)
Apr 23 14:38:59 MBP SampleApp[1742]: testDict count: 0

Cheers

        Nik