Hi folks,
Continuing my learning into Cocoa I'm developing a personal finance application. An admirable project I believe since none available suit my purposes and it always pays to have a project that one would use to learn from.

I have a simple core data model consisting of AccountGroup, Account, Transaction and I've jammied these all into a window with outline view, transaction tableview and detail at the bottom. The model looks like this;

AccountGroup (Asset, expense, income etc)name (string)
accounts (relationship to Account)Account (Bank, Savings etc)name (string)
transactions (fetched properties explained below)
credit (relationship to transaction)
debit (relationship to transaction)Transaction
memo (string)
date (date)
amount (NSNumber)
fromAccount (reverse of debit)
toAccount (reverse of credit)
I believe this to be the true model as a transaction is an object and is of an amount that goes from somewhere to somewhere. This is double entry accounting. My problem is in presenting this to the user.

Problem 1

Most finance apps, and mine included you select an account from a list (my outlineview) and it then displays all the transactions involved. So I created a fetched property with a predicate that included any transactions that had the selected account name in either fromAccount or toAccount. This works to a point. My tableview displays all the transactions of the selected account but since its a fetched properties (contentArray) the list isn't the true transaction array (contentSet), therefore I cannot add to it using the bound detail table below it.

I must admit the bindings for this are really playing with my head. I struggled quite immensely getting the selection from the treecontroller and in the end it started working without me fully understanding why. I have further complications to come as I have the decide whether the transaction amount is a debit or credit (based on the from/to account relationships) and then display the amount in the correct column and then also work out a way to add transactions back in like this.

It seems even though I'm set on what I believe to be the correct data model for this, the method of which a user expects to see this information is a little too different. Does anyone have any advice? Have I talked too much?