Hi

I have 2 applications, one is written in java, the other in C. For reasons I
wont go into to I need to have the C application perform hardware
accelerated opengl rendering to a window created by the Java application.

This is currently working on Windows. On this platform the java application
sends the hwnd of the java canvas to the C application via a bridge. The C
application then creates an opengl rendering context using this hwnd and all
is fine.

Now, on OSX the java app gets a NSView/cocoaviewref. Is there some member of
NSView similar to the HWND on windows that I can pass to my C process? The C
process can then create a hardware accelerated opengl rendering context from
this 'handle' and render to the java apps NSView.

I've looked at using Distributed Objects, however the C application would
need quite a bit of rework to make it fit into the Cocoa application
framework, so this is not an option. So, can a non cocoa application
communicate with a distributed object ?

If distributed objects are not the way to go, I presume there must be
another way to do it as I've seen reference to NSWindowSharingReadWrite in
the apple dev docs. If I use the setSharingType approach, what does my C
application need to be able to create a rendering context on the java
applications shared window. Perhaps there is some way to access this window
using the OSX window server API ?

many thanks

Jonathan