On May 23, 2008, at 03:32, Ken Thomases wrote:

On May 22, 2008, at 5:53 AM, Torsten Curdt wrote:

On May 22, 2008, at 11:15, Torsten Curdt wrote:

I've got a NSTextField (on a NSTabView). I open the window. I click the text field and enter some text. Now I click on a button next to it.

The value has still not been "committed" and it still has the cursor.

Then I click outside of the text field (just somewhere in the view) and still the NSTextField does not lose it's focus.

What's going on? I looked through options in IB3. What do I need to read up on?

Got it ...I had to set the firstResponder to nil in the IBAction before I access the text field

  [[self window] makeFirstResponder: nil];

If your intent was to have the text field set the value of a model key via bindings, that's not the recommended way of doing it. You should invoke the -commitEditing method of the controller. Do a full-text search for that method and the NSEditor informal protocol for more info.

This link <http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/CocoaBindings/Concepts/WhatAreBindings.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20002372-177085 > actually refers to your exact scenario with a text field and a button.

Thanks, Ken!!

Indeed commitEditing sounds exactly like what I was after.

cheers
--
Torsten