Suggestion 1: A few weeks ago I ran into the same problem.  I stumbled onto a
kludge that seems to work, which was to put some text into the text view in IB.
 It can be spaces, it can be anything, as long as it's non-empty and it uses
the desired font.  It seems that the bindings mechanism is then able to replace
that text while preserving the font.  I have the rich text option turned off,
and I'm using the Value binding of the NSTextView.

Suggestion 2: I found a different kludge that I used 5 years ago where I send
setFont: to the text view, in code..  Haven't retested to see if that still
works, and I don't actually have the whole project handy, just an email where I
describe the workaround.  I do it in windowControllerDidLoadNib:, which is an
NSDocument method.  If you're not using NSDocument it might work to call
setFont: in some other "DidLoad" method.

Idle speculation: It seems NSTextView doesn't quite do what one would guess,
font-wise, when it's empty.  I'm too lazy right this moment to explore, but
maybe it actually contains an attributed string of zero length that has the
wrong font, not the one you thought you'd told it to use.

Possibly related: In the Stickies app I sometimes create a new note, paste some
text, and realize I've pasted in rich text where I didn't actually want the
font or formatting.  What I really want is for the whole text to use the
default font I specified for new notes.  The reasonable thing would be hit Undo
to return to an empty note, and do a Paste and Match Style.  But if I do that I
won't get my default font.  Rather, the whole text will use a font from the
original rich text.  So it seems Undo doesn't return me 100% to the state the
text view was in previously.  My workaround is to discard that note, create a
new note, and this time remember to do Paste and Match Style.

--Andy