On 27 Sep 2016, at 05:31, Britt Durbrow <bdurb...@rattlesnakehillsoftworks.com>
wrote:

> FWIW, it’s currently an implementation detail that SELs do map into the
> global address space in a way that doesn’t collide with anything else; but
> technically, they are in their own address space and the system could map
> them otherwise in a manner that does have collisions with other stuff.

That’s true.  IIRC GNUStep SEL values don’t work the same way as they do with
the Apple/NeXT runtime, so this trick wouldn’t work there.

> In practice, I don’t think that will ever happen, because a) too much
> existing code makes the assumption that a SEL is de-referenceable or
> otherwise depends on this implementation detail; and b) we have 64-bit
> addressing, so we’re not going to run out of address space such that making
> that change would be advantageous.

Agreed, it seems unlikely that Apple would change it; not impossible, but quite
unlikely.  As I say, relying on it means your code won’t straightforwardly port
to GNUStep, but most of us don’t care too much about that.

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--
http://alastairs-place.net