On 30 Nov 2016, at 18:33, Doug Hill <cocoa...@breaqz.com> wrote:

>> On Nov 29, 2016, at 11:06 PM, Alex Zavatone <z...@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 30, 2016, at 12:10 AM, Doug Hill wrote:
>>
>>> After some trial and error, I figured out how to accomplish the San
>>> Francisco font features described below. I updated my document to include
>>> the code to turn on each feature.
>>>
>>> http://breaqz.com/font/AlternateStylisticForms.pdf
>>> <http://breaqz.com/font/AlternateStylisticForms.pdf>
>>>
>>> I should make a sample app or blog post but time doesn’t permit at the
>>> moment. Hope this all helps!
>>>
>>> Doug Hill
>>
>> This doc might help
>> https://developer.apple.com/fonts/TrueType-Reference-Manual/RM09/AppendixF.html
>>
>> <https://developer.apple.com/fonts/TrueType-Reference-Manual/RM09/AppendixF.html>
>
> A lot of good stuff there. It appears to be some documentation for what's in
> SFNTLayoutTypes.h which is helpful.
> However, all the alternate stylistic forms are still numbered selectors so
> not a lot of new information.

The problem with the alternate stylistic forms (“salt”) feature is that there
are twenty sets and they’re only defined by a number.  Moreover, they’re font
specific (or, more accurately, typeface specific, because they’re encoded
separately in each OpenType font file).  Hopefully Apple will document the
stylistic alternates in question and won’t change them, but until and unless
they do, using them is slightly risky.  (I think there’s a good chance they
won’t change them, as they probably do the same thing in their own code, but
I’d rather see them explicitly documented.)

> Still hoping Apple will make SF font specific features part of the SDK.

Agreed.  At the very least it needs to explicitly document the set of stylistic
alternates for the SF font family so that we know what they all do (it looks
like there might be more than in your document too; I can’t think of a reason
for using one, two, three and then seven without also using four, five and six).

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--
http://alastairs-place.net