On 21 Mar 2017, at 12:33, Jean-Daniel <mail...@xenonium.com> wrote:

> This is what the reply suggest but that make no sens for me. If you are
> accessing the file using URL, that the work of the framework to convert the
> URL into the right file system representation.

Agreed, IMO the framework should be responsible for Unicode normalisation.
It’s only at the BSD layer where you *might* be responsible for it yourself,
but this isn’t about making BSD API calls, right?  It’s the Cocoa API we’re
dealing with here.

This *should* be abstracted.  If it isn’t, it’s a bug.

(Having vaguely followed this thread for a while, if I had to guess what
happened here, I’d guess there’s some kind of bug in the HFS+ to APFS upgrade
routine that’s causing the Unicode filenames from the HFS+ system to get messed
up somehow.)

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--