On 9 Apr 2017, at 23:00, Richard Charles <rcharles...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Apr 9, 2017, at 11:55 AM, Alastair Houghton
>> <alast...@alastairs-place.net> wrote:
>>
>> The documentation isn’t exactly great (at least, the last time I had to use
>> it).  You might find the following article interesting/useful:
>>
>> <https://alastairs-place.net/blog/2015/01/14/apple-help-in-2015/>
>
> The help file for iDefrag 5 is very impressive! I really like the clarity of
> expression, fonts and font sizes, layout and style of presentation, etc. I
> think this is a great example of a well written and executed help file. So it
> looks like the Sphinx documentation generator worked well.

:-)  I can’t take too much credit for the layout - I used a modified version of
the ReadTheDocs theme (http://readthedocs.org).  The original version is here:
<https://github.com/rtfd/sphinx_rtd_theme>.

> I have only one minor issue. The topics and content are in the same scroll
> view rather than being in two seperate scroll views. Is this something that
> Sphinx can or can not handle or is it unrelated to Sphinx?

It isn’t really related to Sphinx; you can do what you ask for either using CSS
(setting the height of the topic list to match the window and enabling the
vertical scroll bar for overflow), or using frames (this was the traditional
approach, back in the day).

Sphinx will just generate the files you tell it to, so you’ve got fairly good
control over exactly how your help file ends up.  It’s also (usefully) able to
generate plain HTML or PDF output or similar from the same sources.  FWIW, I
chose Sphinx to do the help for iDefrag 5 because I’d already used it with some
Python projects and liked the way it worked, but there are all kinds of other
tools you *could* use to do something similar; anything that can generate a set
of static HTML files will work (so any static site generator or documentation
generation tool that you like) and from there it’s just a matter of setting it
up to generate the kind of output you want.

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--
http://alastairs-place.net