On 8 Aug 2017, at 17:38, Doug Hill <cocoa...@breaqz.com> wrote:

> As others have mentioned, I too have never seen any evidence or statements
> from Apple that discourages +new or -init.

I suspect it was ObjC programmers themselves rather than Apple/NeXT that
discouraged it.  As for why, well I can imagine a few reasons:

- Performance - it incurs an extra message send (which would have been an issue
back in the day)

- Clarity - [[… alloc] init] shows clearly that it’s a two step operation (some
classes support being *re*-initialized, so you can call initialisers more than
once; other classes don’t actually need initialising)

- If +new was the way to go, you’d need variants of +new for each variant of
-init (or you have to use [[… alloc] init] anyway)

- The fact that convenience constructors were often written naming the object,
e.g. [NSString stringWithFormat:…], [NSArray array].  +new would duplicate
that, but isn’t as nice to read or look at.  OK, +new doesn’t autorelease, but
still.

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--