On 14 Jun 2018, at 18:00, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:

>> On Jun 13, 2018, at 7:22 PM, Casey McDermott <supp...@turtlesoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> Our Carbon event loop had a try/catch block, which caught most exceptions,
>> and then
>> continued.  It started as an expedient in early production, but it remained
>> in production code
>> since it often allows users to continue, save their work, etc.
>
> That's actually how Cocoa used to work. I can't recall whether an alert panel
> popped up or if it was just silent. The behavior changed to crashing sometime
> in the past, um, 8 years or so.

I don’t think it’s changed in any obvious way; the framework has always
swallowed exceptions in certain contexts, but not in others. Obviously the
precise detail may have changed over time, but it’s certainly crashed on
exceptions for as long as I remember, outside of the places where they get
ignored for whatever reason.

>> Is there a way to override the event loop in Cocoa?  Some other way we can
>> escape to
>> the event loop and then continue from there?
>
> There used to be either a callback or an overridable NSApplication method to
> handle an uncaught exception, but looking at current headers I can't find
> what I'm looking for; maybe it's been gone for a long time and removed?

Perhaps you’re thinking of NSSetUncaughtExceptionHandler()? I don’t think
there’s much you can usefully do from that, though, besides logging the
exception.

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--