On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 10:27:25 -0700, you wrote:

>I'm looking at creating an iPhone/iPad app that acts as a dual-channel
>waveform generator.
>
>I see two options for the output signal medium:
> (a) using the audio jack (on suitable devices), or
> (b) using the Thunderbolt port

As already noted in other messages, there is no Thunderbolt port (at
least not yet).

But you can't assume a lightning connector/port either, as the iPad
Pro's use a USB-C connector/port.

So depending on the use you envision, you might be best going with
whateaver audio is available whether it is an audio device connected
through the lightning/USB-C ports or via Bluetooth.