Except that Apple specifically says they're not.  From High Resolution
Guidelines for OS X
<https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/GraphicsAnimation/Conceptual/HighResolutionOSX/Explained/Explained.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40012302-CH4-SW13

<https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/GraphicsAnimation/Conceptual/HighResolutionOSX/Explained/Explained.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40012302-CH4-SW13>>:

> Note: The term points has its origin in the print industry, which defines 72
> points as to equal 1 inch in physical space. When used in reference to high
> resolution in OS X, points in user space do not have any relation to
> measurements in the physical world.

In any case, it would be impossible for points to correspond to 1/72 of an
inch, because a given physical screen size can correspond to a different number
of points, depending on the display mode.

Regards,
Ken