> On Jun 28, 2020, at 22:29, じょいすじょん via Cocoa-dev <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com>
> wrote:
>
> One way to do this is with the command line tool:
> caffeinate
>
> You could run a background task that starts it with something like
> caffeinate -dimsu
>
> You can probably also find its source code on opensource.apple.com to
> understand what it does and how.
>
> Like here is a version:
>
> https://opensource.apple.com/source/PowerManagement/PowerManagement-637.20.2/caffeinate/caffeinate.c.auto.html
>
> You certainly still want a user to approve things.

I would say that if the user has the checkbox selected in system preferences
that ties sleep/screensaver to security (prompt for password on
sleep/screensaver activation) they have already answered this question.  In
this situation any app that calls caffeinate in the background (or uses an API)
to circumvent this security settings without informing the user should be
considered dubious at best and perhaps even malware.  In effect this is
disabling that security choice.  If the user has not selected this setting in
system prefs then there is no issue preventing screensaver from activating.
I’d recommend this criteria for the basis of whether to interfere with normal
system operations.

Sandor