Thank you Jean-Daniel for your thoughts on this!

Shark revealed that the most time was spend inside NSDrawNinePartImage, so I replaced that function by a self-made lightweight version. Here I discovered that most time was spend on drawing the center image, which is scaled along both the X and Y axis. Luckily I didn't need that for my bezel.

It didn't seem to be a specific problem of CA though. I tried the same with a "traditional" non-layer-backed NSView subclass and redrawing performance was even worse than with the CALayer.

I still wonder how resizable 9-parts are supposed to be implemented. The documentation of NSDrawNinePartImage state that

"you should prefer the use of this function over your own custom code for handling multi-part images whose size can change".

(I don't want to rant and rave, I'm just curious...)

Sebastian