On Jul 8, 2009, at 6:15 PM, I. Savant wrote:

On Jul 8, 2009, at 9:06 PM, Peter Ammon wrote:

So for menus that may take a while to build, consider appending the items as they come in (like the Airport status item), or showing a "Building..." item until you're ready to add the complete set of items.

What of menus that already have a selection well down the list? In this case, it sounds like my original idea of immediately building the list of font names on nibloading/creation/whenever first, then rendering the attributed titles in the background (and updating the popup on the main thread) might still be the better option.

 Or have I misunderstood?

If your menu has a selection, like a popup menu, then your idea is definitely the way to go. However, getting the list of available fonts can take a noticeable amount of time, so you may find it too expensive to build the list up-front. _______________________________________________