On Mar 31, 2010, at 9:13 AM, John Harte wrote:

What does getppid() returns if the parent dies before the child reach this point ?

Look like a race condition. The man page says getppid() will not fail, but not what happens after the parent dies. I will test this.

If the parent dies, the process becomes the child of launchd. For a quick fix I checked for the parent PID greater than 1.

A better fix, the parent process passed its PID to the child process as an argument. In the child process, if getppid() does not return the PID from the parent process, exit.