>> sandboxing clearly hasn't
>> been nailed down yet.
>
> It's also worth remembering that the Mac App Store is not required either,
> unlike on iOS devices.  If you can't or don't want to sandbox, you can
> distribute elsewhere.

Yes, but the App store is a huge publicity opportunity and potentially very
powerful sales channel, but the way sandboxing is at the moment means that only
the significantly less capable applications are able to be sandboxed, and
therefore be available through the app store. So the users only get the cheap
junk apps on the App store.

Worse for developers, worse for customers, worse for Apple.

I definitely agree that sandboxing has not been nailed down yet. It probably
requires another generation update before it's ready. I understand what it does
and why, but at the moment, it's just too restrictive in a number of areas.