On Jul 30, 2013, at 4:26 AM, Michael Crawford <li...@warplife.com> wrote:
> However, I expect there is a way you could call an Objective-C method
> from vanilla C.  Possibly you will need some assembly-language glue.

The nice thing is, you don't need glue.  You can send Objective-C messages from
within C, as long as the code is compiled as Objective-C or Objective-C++.  All
you need is...

> You will need some way for your C callback to be told what "self" is.

...bearing in mind that within the C function it doesn't have to be called
"self".  It *can* be, if that makes things clearer, but as Jean-Daniel
mentioned, "self" has no special meaning within a C function.  Depending on the
situation, "self" might be a *more* confusing name; personally, I would use
something else in most if not all cases but that may be a matter of taste.

Whether you use the name "self" or not, you can't refer to ivars in a C
function without a qualifier:

@implementation MyClass

- (void)myMethod
{