Uli and I both remembered the app delegate is checked *after* the
window-related objects in the responder chain, which is what you discovered.

I *thought* you could work around this by changing the actions of the Close
menu items to methods that only the app delegate implements.  But you really
don't want to do that, because it'll break any parts of the built-in menu
validation that assume performClose: is the action for closing windows.

So I propose yet another solution, which may well be, again, flawed.  It does
not go through validateMenuItem:.  The following may seem like a lot of
explaining, but it is only a few one- or two-line methods.

* Have the app delegate listen for NSWindowDidBecomeMainNotification.
* Handle the notification by setting the menu item shortcuts appropriately for
the main window.

There are different approaches you could take to set the shortcuts
appropriately for the window.  One way would be to add two category methods on
NSWindow, something like

+ (void)updateShortcutForCloseMenuItem:(NSMenuItem *)menuItem
{
        [menuItem setKeyEquivalent:@"w"];
}

+ (void)updateShortcutForCloseTabMenuItem:(NSMenuItem *)menuItem
{
        [menuItem setKeyEquivalent:@""];
}

For your window that has tabs, use an NSWindow subclass that overrides these
methods:

+ (void)updateShortcutForCloseMenuItem:(NSMenuItem *)menuItem
{
        [menuItem setKeyEquivalent:@"W"];
}

+ (void)updateShortcutForCloseTabMenuItem:(NSMenuItem *)menuItem
{
        [menuItem setKeyEquivalent:@"w"];
}

Your app delegate could have outlets to the two menu items in question.  Then
your notification-handling method can be:

- (void)handleWindowDidBecomeMainNotification:(NSNotification *)notif
{
        [[[NSApp mainWindow] class]
updateShortcutForCloseMenuItem:_closeMenuItem];
        [[[NSApp mainWindow] class]
updateShortcutForCloseTabMenuItem:_closeTabMenuItem];
}

I think the only case this does not handle is when the very last window is
closed.  You may or may not care what the shortcuts are, since the menu items
will be dimmed.  If you do care, you can:

* Have the app delegate listen for NSWindowDidResignMainNotification.
* Handle the notification by first checking whether [NSApp mainWindow] is nil.
If so (and *only* if so, for the reason Uli pointed out), set the shortcuts to
whatever you want them to be in that case.  For example, you could do this
(which is why I made those "update" methods class methods):

- (void)handleWindowDidResignMainNotification:(NSNotification *)notif
{
        if ([NSApp mainWindow] == nil)
        {
                [NSWindow updateShortcutForCloseMenuItem:_closeMenuItem];
                [NSWindow updateShortcutForCloseTabMenuItem:_closeTabMenuItem];

--Andy