Oh well, it was worth a try, and at least you've confirmed some basic steps
*are* working.

From your previous message it sounds like you also checked self.toolbarItem and
it too was not nil (as it could have been if, for example, you'd forgotten to
connect an outlet in IB -- or if you were trying to plug in the button during
init, which is too early).

If I understand what Jerry was getting at, you might want to log the addresses
of the toolbar item and the button, and at some later point in the program
confirm everything's still where you think it is.  For example, you could put a
breakpoint in the toolbar item's action method and look at sender.  (I *think*
that makes sense, but it might not; I haven't made a toolbar in long time.)

As a really trivial sanity check, maybe instead of setting the image, you could
set the title.  If you still have the problem, at least you know it's not
related to setting the image.

--Andy