I think this is a good point.

Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress wrote:
 From: "Erik Hetzner" <erik.hetz...@ucop.edu>
 I believe that registering a domain would be less
work than going through an info URI registration process, but I don’t
know how difficult the info URI registration process would be (thus
bringing the conversation full circle). [1]

Leaving aside religious issues I just want to be sure we're clear on one point: the work required for the info URI process is exactly the amount of work required, no more no less. It forces you to specify clear syntax and semantics, normalization (if applicable), etc. If you go a different route because it's less work, then you're probably avoiding doing work that needs to be done.

--Ray