Ross Singer wrote:
On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Karen Coyle <li...@kcoyle.net> wrote:
My problem with bibo is that it's strongly oriented toward academic journal
articles... I would like to see a comparison to MARC, if anyone has done
that, which might give us an idea of what isn't there. For example, I don't
see the various work/work, work/expression relationships. But it has great
detail in some areas, like time intervals and access rights.

Well, I'm not sure I agree with the assessment that it's geared
towards academic journals... there's been a lot of work towards all
kinds of citations, esp. court cases and whatnot.  See the examples:

http://wiki.bibliontology.com/index.php/Examples

Still looks pretty limited to me. What academics cite isn't a full bibliographic universe. No music, no films, no way to do realia. And citing isn't the same as bibliographic description. Don't get me wrong, I think it's very complete as a citation format, I just don't think it meets other needs. The right tool for the job... and all that.

As far as not including FRBR, BIBO doesn't have to, because the FRBR
vocabs: http://vocab.org/frbr/core.html and
http://vocab.org/frbr/extended.html already do.  This way BIBO can
focus on describing citations, FRBR can focus on
work/expression/manifestion/item relationships and other vocabularies
can focus on other attributes (size, location, circ status, whatever).

Somehow, though, they have to work together, at least where they are describing the same thing. I think the interaction between things like FRBR/Work and citation is interesting and complex. The RDA Online effort is working to allow you to assign particular data elements to FRBR entities through application profiles -- thus you can have a 'work title' which may be different to the 'manifestation title.' No one uses these differences in citations, but then again we haven't yet used them in library catalogs -- both citations and current library cataloging limit themselves to describing manifestations. However, if you are writing a literary criticism of "Moby Dick" you probably aren't only referring to a particular manifestation, but to the work as a whole. Right now, citation standards don't address this.

Also note that IFLA is registering the FRBR vocabulary in the metadataregistry.org registry. I suspect it will look different to the one at vocab.org, although I haven't looked at the IFLA trial version in comparison to the one at vocab.org. Presumably FRAD will also be registered by IFLA in the same way.

kc

This is part of the flexibility of RDF, the ability to pick and choose
among schemas to describe resources however you need to.

-Ross.

--
kco...@kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net