>From one of the Federated Search vendor's perspective...

It seems in the broader web world we in the library world have lost
"metasearch". That has become the province of those systems (mamma, dogpile,
etc.) which search the big web search engines (G,Y,M, etc.) primarily for
shoppers and travelers (kayak, mobissimo, etc.) and so on. One of the original
differences between these engines and the library/information world ones was
that they presented results by Source - not combined. This is still evident in
a fashion in the travel sites where you can start multiple search sessions on
the individual sites.

We use "Federated Search" for what we do in the library/information space. It
equates directly to Jonathan's Broadcast Search which was the original term I
used when talking about it about 10 years ago. Broadcast is more descriptive,
and I prefer it, but it seems an uphill struggle to get it accepted.

Fed Search has the problem of Ray's definition of Federated, to mean "a bunch
of things brought together". It can be broadcast search (real time searching of
remote Sources and aggregation of a virtual result set), or searching of a
local (to the searcher) index which is composed of material federated from
multiple Sources at some previous time. We tend to use the term "Aggregate
Index" for this (and for the Summon-type index) Mixed content is almost a
given, so that is not an issue. And Federated Search systems have to undertake
in real time the normalization and other tasks that Summon will be (presumably)
putting into its aggregate index.

A problem in terminology we come across is the use of "local" (notice my
careful caveat in its use above). It is used to mean local to the searcher (as
in the aggregate/meta index above), or it is used to mean local to the original
documents (i.e. at the native Source).

I can't imagine this has done more than confirm that there is no agreed
terminology - which we sort of all knew. So we just do a lot of explaining -
with pictures - to people.

Peter Noerr

Dr Peter Noerr
CTO, MuseGlobal, Inc.