From: "Eric Lease Morgan" <emor...@nd.edu>
  1. What MARC field/subfield might I put this string?
  2. How would I go about getting the string indexed?
3. How might I go about querying the server for records with this string?

I can at least talk about the third question. There was work on a marc attribute set, though not completed. If you look at the oid register at http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/defns/oids.html you'll see that the latest work on it (second draft) was in 2000, http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/iso/z3950/MARC_attribute_set_2.doc. So if someone actually wanted to put it to use it would have to be completed.

For SRU there is a complete marc context set, http://www.loc.gov/standards/sru/resources/marc-context-set.html.

--Ray