Eric Morgan wrote:

http://infomotions.com/highlights/

Rosalyn Metz wrote:

I have librarians that would kill for this.  In fact I was talking to
one about it the other day.  She felt there must be a way to handle
active reading and make it portable.  This would be great in
conjunction with RefWorks or Zotero or something along those lines.

Yep, when I was creating this application for myself I was wondering what it would be like if a whole group, say, an academic department, were to systematically contribute to such a thing? I thought the output would be pretty exciting.

Mark A. Matienzo wrote:

Have you considered using Solr's ExtractingRequestHandler [1] for the
PDFs? We're using it at NYPL with pretty great success.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ExtractingRequestHandler

Nope, never saw that previously. Thanks for the pointer.

Peter Kiraly wrote:

I would like to suggest an API for extracting text (including highlighted or
annotated ones) from PDF: iText (http://www.lowagie.com/iText/).
This is a Java API (has C# port), and it helped me a lot, when we worked
with extraordinary PDF files.

More tools! Thank you.

danielle plumer wrote:

My (much more primitive) version of the same thing involves reading and annotating articles using my Tablet PC. Although I do get a variety of print publications, I find I don't tend to annotate them as much anymore. I used
to use EndNote to do the metadata, then I switched to Zotero. I hadn't
thought to try to create a full-text search of the articles -- hmm.

Yes, for a growing number of the tools I create I need to be thinking about Zotero as way of "remembering" content. Thanks for... reminding me.

Erik Hatcher wrote:

Here's a post on how easy it is to send PDF documents to Solr from Java:

<http://www.lucidimagination.com/blog/2009/09/14/posting-rich-documents-to-apache-solr-using-solrj-and-solr-cell-apache-tika/

I'm looking forward to the arrival of my Solr books any day now. After reading it I hope to have a better handle on the guts of Solr as well as increase my abilities to do the sorts of things discussed at the URL above.

Thank you, one and all for your replies.

--
Eric Morgan